Friday, March 13, 2009

gender outlaw



When I started this blog, I vowed to myself that I would post regularly. Publish all the things that I cared about it. So far, I haven't yet realized that goal. I could list all the excuses (In my defense, blogger.com sometimes crashes my web browser) but instead, will try and summarize what I've been up to in the past little while.

As I lay in bed naked, middle of the afternoon, on an EDO (earned day off) from work, I take time to delight in all the good feelings that are starting to surface. A new found energy that's provoked when the sun shines brightly at 8:30am. Winter is always hard for me and I can't help that I love it too. So as I sit here and mourn another passing of winter, I am most certainly ready for spring to begin.

Today is a good day, an exceptionaly good day. Today I will get to see Kate Bornstein speak at Breaking The Silence, a conference taking place at the University of Saskatchewan.

I remember the feelings I had when I started reading about gender theory. I was a little baby queer, still in high school, trying to understand who I was. I always understood the binary that existed in being a lesbian. I often felt suffocated by it. Butch or Femme. Pick one. I didn't want to pick one. I wasn't either, I was neither. I was me. A 'gender outlaw'.
It wasn't until after high school that I really started understanding gender theory and Kate Bornstein was one of the first theorists to open my eyes. So for that, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to her. Thank-you Kate!!!


Gender Game - Alix Olson (mp3)
Tranny Got Pack - Athens Boys Choir (mp3)
Two Femme Girls - Nicky Click (mp3)

No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada